Fifth-Wheel Travel Trailer
Designed to be affixed and towed by a pickup equipped with special hitch in the truck bed, these two-level units can provide the greatest living of all towable RVs. Fifth-wheel travel trailers come equipped with all the comforts of home, and are perfectly adaptable for weekend getaways, family vacations and fulltiming.Size: 21 – 40 feet. Cost (without tow vehicle):
- Average: $23,790
- Range: most available from $12,800 – $97,000
- As with all towables, the fifth-wheel travel trailer can be detached at your destination, freeing up the towing vehicle for short trips and excursions, running errands or other conventional uses.
- The unique bi-level dimension of the fifth-wheel travel trailer raises the unit’s spacious “master bedroom” over the truck bed, thereby providing more room for family activities in the “living” section of the unit. Many have large picture windows at the rear for panoramic views.
- Two-thirds of all fifth-wheel travel trailers built today offer at least one slideout. At the touch of a button, the slideout moves a portion of the RVs exterior wall outward as much as 3 1/2 feet to enlarge the living, dining, sleeping or even kitchen area. When extended, the slideout protrudes beyond the normal outside walls of the RV, like an addition on a conventional home.
- A fifth-wheel travel trailer requires a properly equipped and compatible full-size pickup or a custom tow vehicle. It is important to match the weight of the trailer to a tow vehicle which has the necessary towing capacity (consult your dealer for specifications). New lightweight fifth-wheel travel trailers have recently been introduced, designed light enough to be towed by smaller trucks.